Rollin' Down Alisa's 'Lane' - Sunday, July 11, 2010

REMEMBER, YOU CAN CLICK ON THE PICTURES TO SEE THEM LARGER..

Friday, July 16, 2010, I will be taking off in a jet to Omaha, Nebraska. There I will take a bus to Lincoln, Nebraska getting ready for the 2010 National Special Olympics! I am one of two women from the state of Maryland competing in the 2010 National Special Olympics in bowling from July 18th to July 24th. I can't wait!

I have been training almost every day by swimming, bowling, dancing, walking, using an exercise ball, exercise video, or lifting weights. I have been trying to eat healthy, too.

I hope you will follow along with me on this special journey to Nebraska where I am competing for the GOLD with the best team in the USA.... TEAM MARYLAND!!

Sunday, July 25, 2010

My Last Day - Closing Ceremony



Friday was a more relaxing day. My parents took me and my friend, Michelle, to the Healthy Athletes Forum again. I visited "Healthy Eyes" where they fitted me for new glasses and helped me pick out new frames. When the glasses are finished, they will mail them to Special Olympics Maryland and they will send them to me. (all for free) The doctors and nurses were really helpful and nice to us. I also went to "Fun Fitness" where I learned how to stretch and exercise better. They gave me some good pointers and a green stretching band to exercise with. The volunteers there were a lot of fun! My friend went to get her teeth cleaned and they had 50 dentist chairs set up in rows with 50 dentists and hygienists from all over the country who volunteered their time to help us athletes out. It was a great place where we all became physically stronger and felt special.

Friday, my two boy teammates bowled singles and did a great job! I was very proud of them. They are so much fun.

The Closing Ceremony was very emotional for me. I am very tired, but the memories I have made and the things I have learned will last forever!! I loved everything about this past week... I loved meeting new people; I loved bowling so many times; I loved standing on the podium and getting medals with my new friends; I loved my coach and teammates; I loved the music and the dances; I loved the dorms and the cafeteria; I loved the Olympic Town; I loved the athletes from the other states (Did I mention that 48 states were there?); I loved the nice people of Lincoln, Nebraska; I loved all those who helped me do my best; I loved the Olympic torch and flame; I loved hearing the National Anthem sung and our United States flag flying high; I loved the "raise this flag" song about the Special Olympics flag, and I LOVE TEAM MARYLAND!! The flame was put out on the torch, but they gave EVERYONE in the stadium a 'torch' lite-stick that we held high as we swayed back and forth. It means that we will hold our flame / torch high as we go home and it also means we will do our very best forever!!

Saturday morning we went by bus to Omaha and then flew to St. Louis. We arrived home at 8:30 pm. Banners were waiting and so were my parents and my best friend, Hawkeye!

I am grateful for this once in a lifetime opportunity!
What is my next goal???
Back to the Olympics in 4 years!

2 comments:

  1. Alisa, What an amazing experience. I have loved reading through your posts and feeling the excitement of the games. I'm glad that I know you. :) love, Sherilyn

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's been so fun to see and read your blog. Thanks for sharing your Olympic experience with us! You're the best!!

    ReplyDelete


One of my bowling shirts.

Alisa & Shannon - Practice, Practice Practice!


Maryland Crab

My Family at my Good Luck Party!